Conjugate heat transfer 2.0: add heat source to water pot

Hi,
I want to simulate boiling water, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to integrate a heat source. Does someone know how I can solve the issue?
Regards Michael

Hi there, and thanks for using the forum!

SimScale can not currently model boiling water, as phase changes (and chemical reaction) are not implemented in our solvers.

On the other hand, I would like to know what you mean by “integrate a heat source”, can you please elaborate?

Hey Michael,

Guillermo’s note is correct about modeling boiling water (liquid to gas transition) – this behavior cannot be modeled with SimScale today. However, to take a stab at what you may be looking for, there are 2 approaches to model a heat source within the Conjugate Heat Transfer V2 Analysis Type:

1. Thermal Wall Boundary: You can assign both a specific heat flux (power per unit area) or an absolute heat flux using the Thermal Wall Boundary conditions. The approaches for the different implementations are shown in this documentation page here: How to Set the Right Thermal Wall Conditions in CHT | SimScale
  2. Power Source Advanced Concept: You can also model a 3D body to emit a heat source within the simulation domain using the Power Source feature under Advanced Concepts. This can also be specific (per unit volume) or absolute. Check out this page here for more info on implementation: Power Sources (Heat Sources) | Advanced Concepts | SimScale

Let us know if this answers your question.

Cheers,
Omar

1 Like