CFD Velocity Divergence Failure at Low Speed Run

Trying to simulate airflow around a 60 mm spinning disc with deep grooves embedded in outer periphery of disc.

The project-run (Run #3) errored out due to excessive divergence after 12 percent completion. “Velocity field started diverging. Please check the mesh quality near the reported location and try refining the mesh. If the problem occurred near a boundary, please check the boundary conditions. In case of doubt, please ask for assistance via our support chat. Velocity = 9.46272e+07 at position: (0.02224 m, 0.007489 m, 0.1437 m).”

Error log mentions speeds of 9.4 e+07 meters/second, but that number (over 9 million met/sec) is not near the actual simulation speed of the MRF rotating zone — (1000 rad/sec with tips at 0,030 meter radius giving an MRF rotation zone speed of only about 30 met/sec).

Project URL:
SimScale

Thanks for your help.

Hi @spq2095

Thanks for posting your question. This is a very common issue which you can find the solution here in this article.

Please let us know if the article is helpful, and give us some insights if you think it should be improved.

best,

Hi Goncalves,

Yes, that helped. My meshes were apparently fine as they were, so I lowered the relaxation factor for velocity from 0.7 to 0.5 on both this model and another model that diverged, and that solved both cases.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Just to clarify, in order to keep the pressure plus velocity relaxation sum between 0.9 and 1.1 (as recommended in your documentation), I also increased the “pressure relaxation factor” from 0.3 (standard) to 0.4. Changing these factors solved this problem. Thanks again.

Here is the screenshot of the Numerics/Relaxation Factors I referred to above: