Aerodynamic interface plane (AIP)

Hello,

Is it possible to simulate the turbine (for turbofan) using just a mass flow where the fan would be removed from the engine and replaced with a boundary condition that specifies the mass flow rate at the fan.

[This is Compressible Flow only simulation]

The image below shows where the location of a fan plane would be. I am trying to simulate the flow for a turbofan engine where my only interest is the inlet and i would not need to design the core or exhaust of the engine. Therefore a simple boundary condition to represent the mass flow intake at the fan would be useful. Is there any way to include a mass flow rate at that specific plane.

Here is a paper that i found online which is exactly how i wish to simulate my model. The relevant pages are from 30 and onwards.

The paper: https://fenix.tecnico.ulisboa.pt/downloadFile/1407770020545214/Bruno_Conceicao_64957_Thesis.pdf

Any help would be grateful.

Kind Regards,

Syed

Hi Syed, I hope that you had a nice weekend!

Just to clarify, you want to add a boundary condition on a plane inside the domain, right? Not on a domain’s face, like in this tutorial:

Best regards,
Fillia

Hi

Yes i want to add a boundary condition on a plane inside the domain not on a domain face.

Regards,

Syed

I see, I am afraid this is not possible because boundary conditions can only be applied on already existing faces. Maybe you want to check the momentum sources option instead: Momentum Sources | Advanced Concepts | SimScale.

Best regards,
Fillia

Hi Fillia

The momentum source can not be used in compressible flow is there any alternatives.

Regards,

Syed