Would I be able to model a speaker driver and horn with Simscale?

Hi all

Would the above be possible please?

Cheers

Hi @2wice, SimScale platform focuses on providing various simulation possibilities. If you are mainly looking for a modelling or designing tool, I can recommend our partner OnShape . It is also a web-browser based platform, and you have high flexibility of modelling a lot of applications. Furthermore, once the model is complete, there is a convenient connector on our platform to directly import the model from OnShape into your SimScale workbench and get started with a simulation. I hope this explanation is clear and helpful to you! Cheers!

1 Like

Hi sijia

Would I be able to simulate the speaker driver parameters in simscale?

Cheers

Hi

If you wish to look at the acoustics aspect of it, you can model it as a 3D monopole by applying a time dependent inlet pressure in a compressible solver. The compressible flow field will also contain the acoustic information.

In case if you don’t wish to use a compressible code, you can also apply an acoustic analogy on results obtained from an incompressible flow.

It all depends what you intend to do.

1 Like

Hi dylan.

Thanks very much, I’ll look at figuring out how to match driver parameters to time dependent inlet pressures.

Cheers

Hi

Could you keep us updated how you are going by either posting your results under this topic or sharing a link? I am interested in the effects of spatial discretisation schemes on your results. I would like to see what results an unstructured FVM code returns to this problem.

Hi dylan

Thank you very much for your reply.

The parameters I need to account for in the simulations are explained in these links.

TSP
Thiele

I can model the horn in onshape, it would not be necessary to model the driver as it can be reduced to boundary inlet conditions.

To do this is currently beyond my pay grade, but I’ll try anyway.

The following tools will be able to export information that could be of help, and the algorithms are known.

[Akabak]

[Hornresp] edit (2 link limit)

There should be some interest in such a solution in the DIY market for simulating driver and horn responses.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi 2wice

Remember to use the laminar code in compressible flow, as it should be DNS. Theoretically, compressible DNS will provide all turbulence and acoustic information. The interesting thing about OpenFOAM is that its laminar code, despite its naming, is actually direct numerical simulation.

1 Like