Why is My Mesh Taking so Long

My mesh on my model has been taking over 6 hours I have had to stop it because it has been using up too many of my core hours. I see now reason why this should be happening the mesh settings I have chosen are on similar models of mine. On my other models the meshing has taken around 100 minutes so I would like to get the meshing time somewhere around here.
Here is the simulation. Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

1 Like

Hi!

As briefly discussed yesterday in a different thread, the main options are either cleaning up the CAD model by removing small faces or using hex-dominant tools.

There might be a chance that you can make the standard mesh run a bit faster by adjusting the small feature suppression to try and suppress some of the thin faces, but it might take some testing and there’s no guarantee that it will work.

At the moment some of the faces are so small that their area just got rounded up to zero:

The standard tool is a bottom-up meshing algorithm that attempts to capture faces accurately, so it’s not a good option if there are super tiny faces around the model.

Cheers

1 Like

I have tried to increase the small feature suppression but it just shuts off because it is taking away too many of the faces. Is there a way to stop this and just have it remove a lot of the faces. Another question I have is, is it possible to have a filter that filters out faces by size. That way I can see exactly which faces are too small and I can remove them in CAD.

If your small feature suppression is too large to a point where it would delete >35% of the faces, then the small feature suppression is set back to 0. This is the way the code is at the moment, I’m afraid.

A way to filter faces by size is currently not available but it will definitely be implemented at some point. It’s somewhat likely that your CAD tool has this functionality (although some CAD tools don’t support this).

PS: for product requests, a good way to push for features is by posting in the open roadmap: https://roadmap.simscale.com/tabs/2-under-consideration

Cheers

1 Like

I second this and would be awesome if SimScale can implement unstructured mesh for complex faces/forms like in this case. Good example I can think of is Gmsh which is an open-source mesh generator suitable for creating unstructured meshes for various types of simulations.

1 Like