Velocity results not visible, cannot see aircraft

Hello Jousefm

I created a new project: Simulation like swept wing 3 and also uploaded new geometry. However, even though the model solved there were no solution fields (no results).

Thank you
Greer

hey @gscarborough,
did you have a link to your projekt ?

Greetz Kai

I created a new project: Simulation like swept wing 3 and also uploaded new geometry in which I rotated CAD model 22 degrees. I also improved the FEA model by changing the velocity at inlet to only a minus x value of 90 m/s. By making the velocity horizontal I hope the results will be more reliable and the output plot will also be correct. The lift and drag forces will be in the same direction as the y-axis and z-axis. Although the job started it did not finish, There was a unkown error and therefore no results. Can you look at my “Simulattion like swept wing 3” project to find out what went wrong. Also, is the Results Control set up correctly so that I will get a correct plot of lift and drag forces on aircraft? Was rotating the CAD model the best strategy to get Lift to drag ratios?

Thank you
Greer

Hi Greer (@gscarborough) and sorry for the delay!

Is that the most recent project link: Swept Wing. Will have a look at the result control and your error then.

Best,

Jousef

Greer

I uploaded a new model that was rotated (inlet velocity horizontal) and FEA mesh that was fine:

Project: Simulation like swept wing 3
simulation: X-33 Compressible
geometry: x-33_model_rotate
mesh: X-33 model rotate fine mesh
run: Run model rotated 22 deg fine mesh 2

Results: Run stop because of error at time value 250 short of end value of 1000 (27.5 %).

Also, upload new geometry also rotated, but with smoother wing surfaces:

x-33_model_rotate_2

Would like to mesh it similar to previous geometry and run it, as soon as possible. You may want test simulation by running latest geometry. Also, I would like to make sure there is a correct plot of lift and drag of vehicle. I have yet to get the force plot to work properly.

Thanks,
Greer

Hi @gscarborough!

What I noticed is that the geometry is not watertight and no inflated boundary layer has been activated. It might take a bit to identify the issue causing your simulation to fail especially in renitent cases like compressible flow simulations. Please give us some to identify the cause!

All the best,

Jousef

1 Like

Hello Jousefm

mesh: X-33 model rotate fine mesh
run: Run model rotated 22 deg fine mesh 2

Results: Run stop because of error at time value 250 short of end value of 1000 (27.5 %).

Project: Simulation like swept wing 3, X-33 model rotate fine mesh

Also, upload new geometry rotated, but with smoother wing surfaces:

x-33_model_rotate_2

I was not able to get any results. Were you able to determine a solution to the problem, 28 days ago:

What I noticed is that the geometry is not watertight and no inflated boundary layer has been activated. It might take a bit to identify the issue causing your simulation to fail especially in renitent cases like compressible flow simulations. Please give us some to identify the cause!

Is the geometry not watertight, also what is a boundary layer and how does it affect the model solution? I have further improved the geometry and would like to run an aerodynamic analysis.

Thank You

Hi @gscarborough!

Please give me some time to have a proper look at your case! Tagging the PowerUsers (@Get_Barried, @vgon_alves & @Anware ) as well who might jump in in the meantime.

Cheers!

Jousef

Hi everyone,

I found some missing faces, loose and duplicate faces on your model. The fixed geometry is here. Please, try to set a new mesh in it and give us some feedback.

That is a good question for a topic here in SimScale, but for now this will helps you.

Cheers,

Vinícius

2 Likes

Hello Jousef

I meshed it again and the mesh looked Okay but would not run. I several different prompts indicating that my Simscale status was not correct, not current, or at least was using to many cores for a non-professional license. I do not know how the status effects my running program, However the mesh seem to have some errors in quality. The tips of rudders (airfoils in middle of craft) seemed to be missing 3D elements. It would appear that I need to use functions for controlling the quality or quantity of elements in area of geometry with complex and small features. I got the following messages:

The tesselated surface is not closed. There could be a problem with the CAD geometry
(such as self-intersections). Please inspect your geometry. Trying to proceed anyway. Mesh quality check failed. The simulation run cannot be started since the number of computing cores that you selected is only available for professional users. Please decrease the number of cores or upgrade to a professional subscription in order to start the simulation. I decreased cores from 32 to 16 to 8, but prompt still says to many cores.

Thanks,
Greer

mesh: Spaceplane_rotate4 mesh
run: Run spaceplane fine mesh

Also, upload new geometry rotated, but with smoother wing surfaces with both wing tip and root fairings:

Hi @gscarborough,

The best way to solve it is following @Get_Barried recommendations:

As mentioned above, you can get a watertight geometry here. After adding a clean geometry, it will be easier to fix the other errors.

Cheers,

Vinícius

1 Like