Velocity Field Started Diverging

Hello, I am having a velocity issue reported in my simulation after following along with the FSAE incompressible flow tutorial. Here is the error message:

Here is a link to my simulation as well. I went through the process fairly slowly, and I do not immediately spot any meshing issues at the coordinate described in the picture above.

Hi @SamJ_doorLink,
Thanks for using the forum!

I see that you were diligent in setting up the mesh with region and local refinements. These divergence errors occur near locations where the surface mesh is a bit coarse or the transition between the surface and volume mesh is not properly captured.
In the tutorial case, the number of boundary layers is set to 3. Please use 5 layers to capture the transition better. This should probably solve the divergence issue.

I will go ahead and inform our team to make this change in the documentation as well.

With Kind Regards,
Ajit

1 Like

Hello @ananthu_ajit,

I tried increasing the number of boundary layers from 3 to 5 like you mentioned but it looks likely to fail again. At the very least it will finish with poor convergence. Can you spot any steps I missed in the tutorial? I can’t find anything.

Hi, i think it is just because your mesh is to coarse, try to decrease the local element size where the simulation start to diverge.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. So far, the simulation is running quite a bit smoother as it previously began to diverge at around 65 timesteps and it has made it to just over 90 with a much smoother profile. I will keep sending updates. If it diverges again, I will run the mesh quality check to get a closer look at what is going on. Odd that a tutorial is requiring this much editing from the documentation’s specifications.