Using Onshape and SimScale for product design

Hi @jousefm,

yes, my intention was to edit the geometry directly and proceed with the simulation in the SimScale platform. Files imported from Onshape are in the STEP format. But only STL files are allowed to be modified directly on SimScale (as far as I’ve used). This was my question as to why STEP files cannot be edited directly. This, I think, would be more convenient for a web-based application.

I had to use an external tool (Catia) for converting the downloaded STEP files into STL files and then upload them again onto SimScale. But the files were not suitable for use as the geometry appeared as a single shell element (I had an assembly of 3 components and assigning contact surfaces, applying BC’s etc. became difficult).

Hence, I had asked the question and wanted to know if STEP files can directly be edited on the SimScale platform.

Hi @raahul_pu and sorry for the late response.

Indeed. You can either scale or split (STL-wise) the geometry. Why don’t you just edit the geometry in OnShape and re-upload the modified geometry then? I think this is the easiest and most efficient way to do so.

And as mentioned you can export as .step or .stl from OnShape so Catia would be redundant in this process. In addition to that, using STEP files for a FEA analysis is recommended. STL is commonly used for CFD.

• Scaling: All files
  • Splitting: Only STL
  • Editing: Use OnShape

If you have anything else or I misunderstood you in a point, please let me know.

All the best,

Jousef