Uknown error with jet engine simulation

I’ve been trying to run a simulation on a jet engine( simple fan and 2 compressor stages for now).The goal of these simulations is to help me understand the mechanics of and fluid dynamics of jet engines(ie: the pressure/ temperature difference created by the compressor stages).But i haven’t been able to create a single successful simulation and only after countless Hours have i been able to create a successful mesh.Throughout most of the troubleshooting ive been able to get some feedback from the software but now i am only get the “An error occurred”
Error message which provides no guidance on how to solve my issue.

Basics parameters of the simulations:

Fan: 12 blades
1st compressor stage: 18 blades
2nd compressor stage: 24 blades
RPM:20,000/120,000D/S
Simulation type; compressible

I would like to note that while 20,000 rpm might seem excessive, at this engine’s scale (90mm fan diameter) similarly sized jet engines can run at upwards of 180,000 rpm.

PROJECT LINK:https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=4550826149270594713&mi=spec%3Aa30305ff-0bd9-4b06-b44b-1f1d3636530d%2Cservice%3ASIMULATION%2Cstrategy%3A69

Hi there, thank you for using the forum! I have some comments regarding your case:

1. The mesh is pretty coarse, try to increase the fineness, and maybe add a few refinements as well
    Standard Mesher | Meshing for CAE | Documentation | SimScale
    How to Check and Improve Mesh Quality | SimScale

2. Try to increase the domain’s size :smiley:

3. Can you explain to me the reasoning between the Custom boundary conditions instead of the ‘Slip wall’?

Also, 20000 degrees/sec does not correspond to 20000 rpm, so you might want to check this. And for these high RPMs, we would have supersonic flow, right?

Best regards,
Fillia

1 Like