Turbulent Pipe Flow Validation

If yes, then the reason is mesh refinement that was introduced to the pipe inlet and outlet surfaces to capture the feature edges. With the coarse settings used for the rest of the pipe (which gives correct y+) those edges were “wrinkled”. Since mesh is finer in that region yPlus values (non dimensional wall distance in which their cell centers fall) are also smaller.

No not the inlet but the entire pipe. I get stripes alone the length of the pipe on my run so it doesn’t look like yours.

I think I know what the difference might be. It looks like you added a reverse inflation layer to the mesh that I did not have. That is not mentioned in the validation documentation. It appears to be done to get the surface cell to be around y+30 and to make the surface mesh more even.

It looks like you added a reverse inflation layer to the mesh that I did not have. That is not mentioned in the validation documentation. It appears to be done to get the surface cell to be around y+30 and to make the surface mesh more even.

Exactly, as announced in my long post above, I worked to get that new mesh satisfy the y+ criterion. And if you have a look at the validation page now, you will see the updated results and a more detailed explanation.