Tightening torque

Hi, I have started using Simscale for a few days and i wanted to know if there is any way to apply a tightening torque on screws or if there is a way to simulate it, for example applying a force. Thank you very much.

Hi @srenda!

What you can do is to work with pre-stresses and the so called fictitious clearance. This post here might also be helpful to you: Bonded contact is a good approach to avoid simulating bolts?

More on fictitious clearance here: Fictitious Clearance - @fea_squad , feel free to jump in here and add some additional thoughts.

Let us know if that helped!

Jousef

2 Likes

Thank you very much for that, but I would have another question if you don’t mind.
I’m trying to do a non linear analysis of a beam, applying with a fixed support at one end and a force at the other end, but when I run the simulation this error pops out: “A constant non-zero boundary condition was defined for a nonlinear analysis. Please consider to always ramp your load using a formula or table value in order to ease convergence - otherwise the automatic time stepping will not have any effect on the convergence and your simulation might fail: Force 2”. Do you know how to help me?

Hi @srenda!

Sure no problem, that’s why we have the forum :slight_smile: You have to ramp your loading as this will lead to a converged result as the message already states.

Instead of solving all at once the ramping allows the solver to solve the nonlinearities step-by-step (using the Newton-Raphson method) - you can have a look at this doc entry regarding ramping here:

Let us know if that helped!

Jousef

1 Like

I’m trying to do a non-linear analysis of a beam, with a fixed support at one end and a force at the other end, but when I run the simulation this error pops out: “A constant non-zero boundary condition was defined for non-linear analysis. Please consider to always ramp your load using a formula or table value in order to ease convergence - otherwise the automatic time stepping will not have any effect on the convergence and your simulation might fail: Force 2”. Do you know how to help me?

HI @srenda
PLEASE SHARE PROJECT LIKE HERE.

This is the link.
What I have to do is to put the so called infinite plate as a rigid body completely constrained and apply a force of 100 N along the y axis in the negative direction at the end of the steel plate. It should give me a value around 6,2 mm as displacement.
Thanks a lot!!!