The model contains both faceted and parametric geometry

I am designing an external flow simulation for a basic human body CAD model made in solidworks to investigate the heat losses that occur in a human body but when I try to create the external flow field I get this error “The model contains both faceted and parametric geometry.”

Hi there, and thanks for using the forum!

Did you use surface or solid modeling in your CAD? Remember that for CFD simulation you need enclosed (watertight) models: all connected, no holes, etc. This also prevents the flow region from being created.

I would like to have a look at your model, can you please share the URL here?

Hi there! I used solid modelling and have used the wrap feature in the Geometry section but still not getting it to work. Here is the URL:

Note: check the body only geometry as I have also made a geometry with a preset domain that I couldn’t get to work either.

Hi again, thanks for the link.

First of all, you do not need to create this enclosing box. With just the model of the body is enough.

Also, I think that the source of the error can be the points of contact between rounded and plane faces:

This creates singularities that prevent the creation of flow regions. You can fix this by adding fillets or intersecting the parts. Also you can test it by trying to fuse all the parts together: if the operation fails or you end up with multiple bodies instead of one, then you need to keep working on it.

Please implement these suggestions and let me know how it goes.

Thank you very much! Sorry for the late reply, I just wanted to ask if I were to design the simulation to run to emulate a human body in still water would that just be as simple as making one face a velocity inlet with zero velocity and the opposite face a pressure outlet?