The meshing failed on the following entities:

When doing an ellipsoid solid (with a porous medium) in my project (Ellipoid trees by jjansman | SimScale ); I get very early in the meshing calculations the error:
The model contains faceted geometry. When Advanced concepts are used, the meshing pre-processing requires some boolean operations to be performed. The support for facet geometry is limited in this case.
The meshing failed on the following entities: face 2@Solid 7.

If I rerun the meshing I get every time a different solid, for instance:

The meshing failed on the following entities: face 2@Solid 66.

If I change the Fineness from 3, 5 or 7 the above messages are given.
I I use Fineness =10, I get an additional message:
The model contains faceted geometry. When Advanced concepts are used, the meshing pre-processing requires some boolean operations to be performed. The support for facet geometry is limited in this case.
The mesh size is smaller than the cad entity tolerance or the small feature suppression tolerance for 827 faces. The mesh may be coarser than desired.
The meshing failed on the following entities: face 2@Solid 95.

If I use ‘Simplify - cylinder’ (in CAD mode), it looks to work, but I really would like to use ellipsoids…
Any help/hint to get this meshed (and thus running)?

Thanks.

P.S. I downloaded the sphere (aka ellipsoid) from SketchUp Warehouse (3D Warehouse )

I forgot to mention that the earlier mentioned results is with wrapped ellipsoids. Without wrapping the same error occurred.

Hi @jjansman, thanks for your post on the forum :slight_smile:

I’m currently working on your case, I’ll follow-up later on with my findings!

Best,
Igor

Hi @jjansman, I just wanted to provide a follow-up on your situation

Unfortunately, the problem seems to be caused by the fact that these ellipsoid geometries
were exported in the STL file format. If you have access to an external CAD tool, it should be easy creating them using some sort of revolution operation.

Internally, we use OnShape for CAD.

Does that help?

Best,
Igor

Thanks Igor,
The object was in SketchUp format and indeed I needed to export it in SketchUp using STL (as that is the only supported method in both SketchUp and SIMSCALE). So my external CAD tool is SketchUp (which I used). So I understand I need to try again (instead of using someones SketchUp object make my own revolution operation. Correct?
I tried some months ago that, and that also did not work, but I can try again (as I want to get it to work). What are important things to watch for? Again STL is the intermediate language…

Hi @jjansman,

I think OnShape has a free version in which you’d be able to export your files as STEP or Parasolid. In that case, it should be easy to generate your ellipsoid over there :slight_smile:

Best,
Igor

I will try that. I made myself now an ellipsoid in Sketchup, but that also gives the same error message with the mesher (indeed used STL as intermediate lagiage). I will try OnShape (and then also need to import my estate into it also).

Made an ellipsoid tree in Onshapeand exported in Parasolid. It gives me this error :
" The uploaded mesh file is currently not supported. Please use a different version, or contact our support team for further assistance.

Error Code: 65be56f6"

Ellipsoid tree by jjansman | SimScale Geometry: tree-ellipsoid

Can Parasolid be use din Community plan? I get similar error when using STEP.

Here is the CAD model: Onshape

Hi @jjansman,

It would be better if you created the model directly on OnShape, not just importing the STL into it and then exporting as Parasolid. As I’ve mentioned, one way to do that would be to create a solid by revolution:

Best,
Igor

Will try. I see OnShape is quite different form SketchUp. And it might be too difficult for my targeted users.

But I will try it for myself, so I can check how the wind velocity changes when changing the porous object from a cylinder to an ellipsoid. Thanks for your help!