Step-by-Step Tutorial DroneS1

Cheers, when I tried it the whole thing went yellow, wouldn’t save, and so in simscale I could only import the most recent saved state.

btw, they use this for some gliders with fold-out props because of size, and apparently in some other cases because in theory it’s more efficient (less rotational airflow, more clean air for the blade).

Ah I see - in my case I exported the part directly from Onshape as a STEP and then uploaded it to the project rather than using Import.

That’s an interesting concept, be sure to share your results with us :slight_smile:

Best,
Anna

1 Like

Hi, I am still not sure about the concept of rotation disc around the propeller and what kind of cad operation is needed before importing it in mesh?

Hi @cashifk!

With the CAD operation you want to define your MRF zone for later on. The tutorial gives a pretty good idea about that. When you have a look at other projects involving MRF you can see that you basically just need a cylinder around your domain, that’s it. Let me know if you need help with that.

Best,

Jousef

I get that it’s just a cylinder around the propeller but is it a merged solid? or is it just a surface around the propeller? Thanks

Hi @cashifk!

It is a merged solid consisting of surfaces. If you want to work with OnShape make sure to check out this post here: OnShape - Merging & Meshing

All the best!

Jousef

Interesting tutorial! Any ideas of how well this represents reality?
I’m just a little bit worried that the use of wall functions and MRF might yield inaccurate an lift force.

Hi @Filiptheking!

Every simulation/modelling implies an abstraction of reality thus will not represent reality in every detail (so deep…). Why not run another simulation without wall functions and MRF and see the difference? I doubt that this is more accurate. I remember that one of our users @afelfoldi is familiar with those kinds of simulations and maybe can give you some tips.

Best,

Jousef

Hi,
I did a simulation with full resolution wall treatment instead of with wall functions. The difference in lift force seems quite small.

Lift force when using Full resolution wall treatment = 2.9288 N
Lift force when using Wall functions = 2.9287 N

I was a little bit surprised that simulation time were almost the same (both at around 50 minutes).

1 Like

Hi,

Just wondering if this design would be able to be exported to 3D print?

Hi @jmayger!

That should be no problem but I believe some of the software available on the market - even free one - can check your file and tell you if it is corrupted. I would just test it and if necessary export it to another format.

Best,

Jousef

Thanks Jousef!

How are the rotational speeds changed as asked at the beginning of the article?

Hi @jmayger!

As depicted in the picture below you simply have to change the angular velocity of the rotating zone.

Cheers,

Jousef

Oh right Cheers!

Sorry for the continued questions but how would I be able to see the results of the lift created?

Hi @jmayger and sorry for the delayed answer!

You can see the pressure force in y-direction in the post-processing which corresponds to the lift you were looking for. Hope that clears things up a bit and feel free to contact me whenever you have any questions, no need to worry about “too many questions” - that’s why we have the forum :wink:

Enjoy your week!

Jousef

During the video it says that the graph correlates to the simulation error so I wasn’t sure.

This is the graph I have, would this be a correct representation of the lift force as I have to find and interpret results for a school project.

If this is a graph of Lift Force how would you describe it in relation of drone movement as the graph progresses in time?

Thanks Heaps!

Hi @jmayger!

Both statements are correct. You usually (or often) use the force plots to see if forces converge during the simulation. In this case stopping the simulation let’s say at 50 seconds or 100 seconds won’t make much sense because the pressure force is still varying. Here we can say at approximately 400 seconds that the force has converged because it is not changing its value anymore - does that make sense to you?

Cheers!

Jousef

Yes thanks, So does that mean that to graph and/or table results I would select the value at around 400 Seconds as the overall Lift Force created by the propeller?