SolidWorks CAD Resolution Poor

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to compare the SimScale platform to industry-used software such as STAR-CCM+ for my CFD project of the drag produced by a cyclist. The problem I am encountering is that when I import my CAD as a SolidWorks file, the resolution becomes really poor:

Is there a way to change the import fineness settings? I am importing as a .prt file so I have control over the faces for boundary conditions.

Link to my project: SimScale

Hi @sadeghir97,

Can you provide a screenshot of your native source file?

A drop in geometry resolution should not occur unless your settings for saving the geometry are incorrrect or the format is wrong.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Hi @Get_Barried, thanks for the reply

Here is a screenshot from SW:

And a comparison in the SimScale software:

This is how I upload the file:

Hi @sadeghir97,

Try saving your file in STEP and reuploading it.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Hi @sadeghir97,

thanks for pointing this out! The bad news is that you can’t do anything about the tessellation / resolution fineness that you see in the SimScale viewer at the moment. We’ve been building a lot of new CAD functionality lately and the coarser visualizations in specific cases was an unwanted side effect. The good news is that a) we’re actively working on improving this and more importantly b) this resolution will NOT affect the downstream mesh quality. The low triangle count of this tessellation is really only present in the viewer - the mesh will be generated on a more accurate model. So while visually not pleasing, I’d suggest you just continue with the mesh generation and simulation setup. The results won’t be affected by this.

But no doubt, the low resolution in the viewer is irritating, so expect an improvement on this shortly as well.

I hope this helps,

David

2 Likes

Hi @dheiny,

Oh so it is a visual issue? That is interesting. Haven’t encountered it myself. Thanks for the transparency David!

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

1 Like