Solid Materials in Transient Simulation

Hi all,

I am trying to simulate the affect of having a deformable cladding, outside the rainscreen of a tall structure, in the hope that when wind is applied, this deformable cladding will assume a different shape and make the building more streamlined.

In order to make this work, I need to have a block structure that can be taken to be very stiff, which then has the cladding attached to it, which itself is less stiff than the block. I need to do this in order to see how the less stiff cladding changes shape with wind, however I am having trouble assigning materials (ie. stiffnesses) to the model. Can anyone help with this?

My project is named “trial” for anyone who would to check it out. SimScale

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

Sounds like it would be a combination of solid as well as fluid simulation that is necessary here. What you can do is to create a fluid flow simulation and then read out the forces with a result control item on your structures which can be downloaded as a xlsx file. This can then again be used to use if for structural analyses - note that there is no way at the moment to have a fluid-structure interaction in the sense of solving both fields in one run, you would have to do it in the way previously described by me.

Happy weekend!

Jousef