Simulate the cutting process of a circular saw

Hello,

assume a circular saw with a piece of wood being cut by the saw blade.
The result should be an air flow around the blade enriched with many small pieces of the cutted wood.

Can we simulate this with parameters like:

• cad representation of the blade
  • area where blade an wood meet each other
  • speed of the blade
  • speed of the wood brought into the blade
  • material properties of wood and blade

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @wmay!

You asked this question about 2 weeks ago but without the particles being included inside the simulation :wink: As mentioned in the other post Lagrangian particle tracking is not yet implemented or a module on SimScale so I would like to encourage you and create a feature request for it in order to track the wishes from users properly.

The “simple” flow analysis around a blade can definitely be captured with a MRF approach but as mentioned without particle tracking (for particle tracking there is already a feature request in the Vote For features section).

Best,

Jousef

Jousef,

<You asked this question about 2 weeks ago but without the particles being included inside the simulation>

You are right. I detected that the air flow alone is not enough to find out how to eliminate particles from the air flow.

E.g. centrifugal forces working on the particles can be crucial to the solution…

regards
Wolfgang

I totally agree here @wmay!

As mentioned beforehand as soon as we are able to track particles in a proper manner in combination with the rotating component we can make easier predictions. Now we can only make assumptions were agglomerations or dead zone are but that is not post-processing in a CFD manner. :wink:

Best,

Jousef