Simscale and OpenFOAM

hi Everyone,

hope is all well.
I am trying to simulate simscale results in openform. so basically, I downloaded the simscale result and then used ./Allclean and tried to make mesh again in OpenFOAM. but I face a problem.

I wanted to know a few things about Simscale.

1. mesh called “Hex-dominate” on simscale is a snappyHexMesh? is yes then why downloaded result from simscale doesn’t show “snappyHexMeshDict” file in “system/” folder.

2. downloaded result also doesn’t show cad model in “constant/triSurface” folder.

I wanted to replace the similar model with slight changes in the cad model and rerun it on my OpenFOAM. (Linux terminal)

Please let me know if you have a solution to this problem.
have a good day,

cheers.

Hello!

Although SimScale uses OpenFOAM as a base for many solvers, there’s quite a lot of custom implementations. Therefore, it’s very likely that you won’t be able to simply download a case and run it locally in OpenFOAM out of the box.

On your first pointer: you might want to go for a hex-dominant (parametric) meshing tool, instead of hex-dominant.

On the second pointer, the triSurface folder is available to me under the constant/triSurface.

Are you sure that you didn’t delete the folder by accident with a command?

1 Like

Dear @RicardoParis

Thank you for your response. appreciated.

I am facing a problem with my multiphase simulation and the downloaded file is not a mine simulation. I will check again as you suggest but with my simulation.

one more thing, I don’t why but I try various ways to set multiphase for my case but turns out that my mesh is not generated as I want.

project link:

I want to mesh the air and water region (the whole domain) but in meshing only one region is mesh.
please, I would be really happy if you could check the project and give a suggestion.
thank you again for your response.

have a good day.

hi everyone,
i manage to do meshing in my multiphase simulation but now I have another error. this error occurred because of I have 3 solid regions, but how I can simulate this with 3 regions? please help me.

“A setup with at least 3 regions is being used in a single-region analysis type. Please ensure that only one fluid region exists and that all other bodies are assigned to an advanced concept. If you have already meshed your geometry, ensure that all the meshing regions except one are cell zones.”

Hi, make sure to check this article on the assignment of materials and phase initialization for multiphase.

In short, you must have a single CAD part consisting of the flow region. Both materials are assigned to the same volume and you can use initial conditions to define the initial state of the system when it comes to phase fraction.

Cheers

hi bro @RicardoParis
thank you for the suggestion.

but if I used only the cad model then how do make 2 different regions and mesh it? I try as you said but after meshing only one region is mesh. (because maybe I define that region only in the background mesh box)
but still, the problem continues. can you check my setup?
thank you for helping.

project:

Multiphase simulations require a single region mesh, so if you try to use a CAD with two volumes the simulation is going to fail. Please refer back to this article on the definition of materials and initialization of multiphase simulations: Multiphase Materials and Initialization | Knowledge Base | SimScale

Is there a specific reason why your CAD needs to have 2 separate regions?