Simple pressure hull with internal support structure fails to get simulation results

Hi all,

I am working on my first Simscale project. I am designing a box-like pressure hull with internal support structure for a battery pack for an AUV. The reason I try using Simscale is because I want to have more control over the meshing algorithm and solvers.

This model has 3 symmetric planes, X-Z, Y-Z, and X-Y. Thus, the FEA model includes only one-eighth of the full model.

The constraints I set are 3 symmetric planes on cross-sectioned surfaces of the pressure hull and the internal support structure (which made from POM).

This excepts 3 surfaces of supporting columns of the internal structure which I set them to fixed supports, to keep the calculation stable.

Also, the pressure hull has mounting holes for installing on a rack. I set surfaces of these holes, which are supposed to be supported by bolts, to fixed supports.

The contact surfaces between the lid of the pressure hull and the internal structure are set to physical contact with penalty method to allow for separation, but not intrusion.

For forces, I exert clamping forces on the bolted joints in the first time step and then ramp up pressure on the wetted surfaces of the pressure hull in later time steps.

I tried quite similar setting in Fusion 360 simulation and it works. However, when I ran a simulation on Simscale I got an error message

The solution matrix is singular. This may be caused by an unconstrained rigid body motion, a physical contact definition with open gap in a nonlinear static analysis or incoherent material parameters

which confuses me.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Here is my project link >> AUV_Battery_Hull_v1 by sitthichats | SimScale

Thank you,

Boris

Hi Boris!

I am personally not a big fan of the symmetry BC and usually use a displacement BC with 0 for each direction that should be locked respectively. FEA Squad, could you give our user some guidance on what he could optimize in his BCs to make his simulation work?

All the best!

Jousef

1 Like

Hi @sitthichats,

This looks like a really interesting problem you are working on, I hope we can get it working for you.

I have not seen the full error you are getting but one thing you can try is to run the model with the Stop if Singular flag set to off. This could give a different error but I have used this for debugging before.

Also, when I looked at the Fixed Value X-Axis table I noticed a mismatch in displacement units. The displacement values wanted in the tables are in meters.

I will try and spend some more time on this tomorrow if you are still having an issue.

Good Luck!
Christopher

1 Like

Thank you both of you! I replaced symmetric planes BC with fixed values and it works! I also corrected the fixed values BC and unchecked stop if singular. The model took 3 hours to complete but worth it.

Hi @sitthichats,

That’s great to hear! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Christopher