Self intersecting facet geometry

Hi guys

I am trying to upload a .stl file. The file its self is a x-ray tomography scan (basically a 3D image created by x-raying a real life object) of some glass beads surrounded by resin. However when I upload it I get the bellow error message. I’m not familiar with autocad (or similar software) so I am not sure how to fix my model. Could you tell me if its an easy fix and point me towards a tutorial that could show me how? I have access to most of the autodesk softwares. Its a fairly complex shape made up of lots of triangles (sorry if thats that wrong term!)

"Self-intersecting facet geometry
The body contains self-intersecting triangle facet geometry. Reconstructing the problematic entity or splitting the entity into multiple separate faces can resolve this issue. "

Hey there, this is Fillia :slight_smile: Would it be possible to try and export your model to STEP or Parasolid format instead? STL is not suitable except when it comes to PWC and LBM analysis.

Best regards,
Fillia

Thanks for getting back to me Fillia. I can’t directly save it from the x-ray software as either of those. Is there an easy way to convert an STL to STEP?

Hi Fillia, I managed to export to a .step file but I wont upload at all now. I get the following error:

The file could not be imported as valid geometry based on the provided geometry format. Please try to export a different format or contact our support for assistance.

Error Code: 19773392

Hi there. I think the best approach here would be to try another software that generates files compatible with SimScale. OnShape is a great option. It is also cloud-based, and free to use. You could take advantage of the OnShape plug in we provide as well:

Best regards,
Fillia