Seed face and Boundary faces define an infinite flow volume

Hi all. New to SimScale. I am working on a company project and am trying to run a thermal analysis simulation with forced induction cooling. I have a perfectly symmetrical model with the rear fan opening and two openings at the front as you will see in the attached pictures so that the forced air will flow over the heatsinks.

My issue is that whenever i try to create an internal flow volume, every time i get the “Seed face defines infinite flow region” and i can’t seem to figure out what to do. It is very apparent where i want the air to flow but i can’t figure out which face to make the seed face and which, if any, to make boundary faces. Can someone please provide some insight? Thank you!

Hi there, and thanks for using the forum!

Please always include the link to your project so we can have a look at it and provide the best help.

Link to project:
Heat T A | SimScale Workbench

1 Like

Hi @jconwell,

Welcome to SimScale and thanks for reaching out! I had a look at your project. It is likely there’s a hole somewhere in your assembly and that’s why SimScale is saying an infinite flow region would be created. I tried to extract the flow volume manually, but the Boolean-cut operation I was trying to do within Onshape was failing. Please check out this 4 minute video (with audio) I made for some more information on troubleshooting.

I suggest trying the manual FVE within your native CAD tool (SolidWorks, I think) and seeing if that gives you any hints as to where the hole/gap is. If you run into issues with that, please attach upload a SW Pack and Go with your native files and I’ll try to troubleshoot it on my end.

Best regards,
Matt Bemis

Hello jconwell,

in addition to what matt already mentioned.

I think I found the gap. There is a small slot between the front cover and the top cover. as you can see here:

Further, I want to point out that you might want to do some further Geometry simplifications:

For example, you could remove all of the mounting holes, which will help reduce the cell count of your simulation.

Best regards
Sebastian

1 Like

Great find @SBlock,

I was also able to find via SimScale’s CAD Mode Gap detection tool.

Thanks,
Matt

1 Like