Pump torque and axial thrust simulation problems

Dear All,

I would appreciate your help with pump performance simulation. I am working on project https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=3382419860169863602&mi=run%3A112%2Csimulation%3A12&mt=SIMULATION_RUN

Runs 5 and 6. The calculation of head has given very good results at different speeds and flow rates. But the efficiency is significantly overestimated (about 20% higher, than experimental data). It means that torque values are lower than they should be. I use the value of Pressure moment x for topological entity set “Impeller” as torque. What can be a reason of such mismatch? I think that maybe it needs to take into account the motor shaft, but I don’t see how to do it. Something else?

Another problem is the axial thrust calculation. The values those I have are very far from test data those I have. I define the thrust as pressure force x for “Impeller”. But even the force direction seems to me strange: I have positive force on front shroud (X force on topological entity set “front shroud”) and negative on rear shroud and inside rear shroud sealing (X force on topological entity sets “rear shroud” and “chamber”), but accordingly axe direction it must be an opposite direction! What is wrong in this case?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Hello there!

Sadly your link doesn’t work for me, so I can not have a deeper look.

One thing that comes to my mind from your description, is that you are only taking into account Pressure loads, and not the Viscous forces that come from friction.

For example, if you are measuring the torque with Pressure Moment X, you should add the Viscous Moment X to that value to take into account friction forces.

This should increase the load values and get you closer to your reference. Please do so and let me know the results.

Yes, you are right! I also found that the viscous torque has to be added. Now the difference is much lower: around 7-10%. It can be some losses. In real pump we had an inducer, labyrinth seals, balancing holes, mechanical losses (bearings, shaft seals). I see in my simulation that I have a permanent difference: around 10% at different speeds and flow rates. It could mean that it is mainly mechanical losses.

I still have no idea what is wrong with axial thrust. Could you help me with this issue?

The project link: SimScale