Problems with a thin layer

I need to calculate the heat flow in a two-layer model with an area of about 25x25 km. The geometry consists in a thin CO2 layer with a thickness of 15 m that lays over an ice slab with a thickness of 1.7 km. The surface of the CO2 layer has small ups and downs but it’s quite flat, so the problem is almost one-dimensional. This is the project: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=7935587982865394225&rru=fca8223f-af4b-428f-b896-7cce6b9e842b&ci=fdd78f30-256d-45bf-aa2d-3a00aa16da58&ct=SOLUTION_FIELD&mt=SIMULATION_RESULT

The boundary conditions are the temperatures at the bottom of the ice layer and on top of the CO2. I expected similar values of heat flow on the surface of the CO2 layer, but results indicate some points with large variations. This is a screenshot of the solution.

The geometry and the mesh look fine, but I think that the problem could be on the thin layer. I have tried to refine this part with the ‘region refinement’ and the ‘local element size’ tools, but results don’t improve and I run out of memory easily. I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Isabel

Hi Isabel! The mesh here is really coarse, I would recommend trying another setup, and make sure the thin layer has at least two elements across the z-direction :slight_smile: For this, you can try a region refinement applied on the specific part.

Best regards,
Fillia

Hi Fillia,

I have used the region refinement tool with the default values, but I think that the mesh is still coarse and the simulation is taken too much. Is this normal?

Thank you very much!
Isabel

Hi Isabel, have you also tried to set this manually?

Hi Fillia,

I have tried to change the parameters to improve the mesh manually, but I run out of memory easily. I have also tried with the local element size option and I have the same problem. Maybe the extension of my model is too large?

@isaegea
Hello Isabel,

Yes with your model you have too much domain to be simulated easily with any level of detail.
From your initial post you have 25000 m x 25000 m x 1700 m volume and you are trying to evaluate a thin sheet that consists of 15m of that 1700m. I would highly suggest trimming the area down from 25km x 25km to something maybe 1/10th of the size. You may also find you don’t even need the 1700m of height on your model and can reduce that, but I will leave that for you to discover! Best of luck. This may take a few iterations of what should be the optimal size but you will be able to do generate a more refined mesh without running out of memory.
Let me know what you think.

Best,
Jake

1 Like