Problem with simulating wind load on building

Hello!

I am trying to simulate wind load on buildings to select the best form by comparing the 3 options.
The project link is here:

I attempted the 1st option but the simulation result doesn’t look correct. The arrows on the cutting plane just don’t seem reasonable (see images below).
It’s my first time using simscale, so not sure if I missed anything or made mistakes with the setup.
Would really appreciate it if anybody can give advice on how to fix it! Thank you!

Hi stlau2,
Welcome to Simscale:)
Yes, it’s a bit of a learning curve, but here is my suggestion, but I’m still learning too.

Firstly, thank you for the sketch and also the link, it makes it so much easier and quicker to respond with a possible solution :slight_smile:

I looked at your wall boundary conditions and they all looked good :slight_smile:
I think its the Velocity inlet 1 that is the issue.
I’ve attached a sketch that indicates that the velocity Uy should be -11 and put zero in the Ux position.
Oh, to make a bit more sense of the velocity graphical output, look at the individual x, y or z axis rather than the combined magnitude as it can make it easier to see possible direction issues in wind velocity.

As with buildings under the wind loading that has been applied, I would expect an uplift of the roof, ie negative pressure on the roof. You can even measure this force by setting up the Results control area.

I haven’t looked further, so there maybe something else, so best of luck.

Kind regards
Ted

2 Likes