Pressure inlet Boundary condition

Hello guys,

In OpenFOAM, for each boundary patch, user has to input boundary condition for p and U (both) similar to ‘custom’ B.C on SimScale.

Coming back to SimScale platform, I would like to simulate fluid flow through an applicator with pressure Inlet and Pressure outlet (which is 0, atmospheric) conditions.

My questions are,

1. When I select pressure outlet condition, I believe ‘zero gradient’ is applied for ‘U’ at outlet patch.
    Which B.C. is indirectly applied for ‘U’ for ‘Inlet’ patch??

2)What is the significance of Gamma value in ‘pressure inlet’ B.C??

I would be grateful if someone could help me out. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rajan

Hi @rajan19us!

First of all the best thing would be to always share the project (if existing) to have a better idea of what you want to accomplish.

Coming to your questions:

1. You can use a velocity value, an inlet flow rate or a free stream condition for the velocity at the inlet. For the outlet you can simply use the pressure outlet condition.

2. Gamma is defined as: \gamma = \frac{c_p}{c_v} (the ratio of specific heats)

All the best!

Jousef

Thanks for reaching out immediately. Unfortunately, the CAD model is not yet available. I was trying to establish the simulation scenario for this case.
Currently, only pressure inlet value is available; inlet flow/velocity is unknown. I will soon share the project link.

Regards,
Rajan

Hi @rajan19us!

For pressure inlet, this documentation entry might help you: Pressure Inlet BC. Let me know how things go!

Best,

Jousef

1 Like