Please check my workflow. Am i doing this wrong?

Hi all, first post here, and of course, I’m a novice at Simscale, so please bear with me.

I’m trying to optimise the part cooling system on my 3D printer. I have designed the duct assembly in OnShape, and I am just using SimScale to see if the air flow is behaving how I want. My problem is that this is a largely iterative process, and I keep repeating the same process for each iteration. I was wondering if there is a better way to do this.

At the moment, I import my model direct from Onshape, and the first the first thing I do is open an inner region, then start a simulation using air (simulating incompressible flow). Next, I create 2 velocity inputs, and one pressure output, then I generate the mesh, and after that run the simulation. All that is fine, it’s just that if I need to make minor changes to the shape of the ducts, I go back into Onshape to make the changes, then I go back to Simscale, delete the previous imported geometry and the simulation, and then I start the above process over again. Is this the best way to do this? It would be good if I could make my changes, and then import the new model to replace the old one, and have it re-run the mesh and simulation automatically based on my previous settings. Can anyone give me any tips so that I can streamline my workflow please?

Many thanks, John

Hey there John!

Welcome and thanks for using the forum.

We are aware of this issue and are working on features to support this workflow, but they are not live yet.

Anyway, you can improve your workflow if you:

• Do not delete your current simulation.
  • Use the ‘Duplicate’ command
  • On the duplicated simulation, replace the geometry with the updated version
  • You will notice that all the setup items remain, but are empty now.
  • Go through each item and assign the corresponding geometry on the new model
  • Now your setup is complete to run

Hi,

Posting one image with the duplicate button, just in case:

You can access it by right-clicking on a simulation tree of interest, and then duplicate it. All boundary conditions, material definitions, and settings get copied over.

Then it’s just a matter of changing the geometry and assigning the faces again.

Cheers

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your help. I will try your suggestion, that will save a lot of time.

1 Like