Phase change in Multi-Phase Flow Simulations

I think it would be great if we could have a phase change in multiphase flow simulations. a few examples of use cases are:

• Pouring a mould and solidifying of the material (expect the material to shrink within the mold as it is cooling)
  • external flow with Ice build up on a wing (possibly local time stepping due to time it would take in sim time?)
  • Steam production from a boiler (more accurate heat exchanger sim including LH of evaporation)

Unfortunately, this is a little harder as to my knowledge there is no thermal model in Multi-Phase flow? So this might have to be implemented first?

This is something I have wanted to do for a while, however, yesterday someone commented on one of my projects and asked about icing simulations and it got me thinking.

I would expect geometry wise that the ice build up would be treated as a liquid would be in terms of its phase boundary being defined as a fraction.

Any thoughts and ideas on this are appreciated and I understand this might be a bit of a tall order.
Darren

YES, i will ad EVAPORATIVE COOLING.

Water evaporates and absorbs thermal energy in the process, leaving behind cooler water. The vapor has to go somewhere, and it has to follow a path to get there.

Calculating how much thermal energy to the vapor transports and to were. If space it’s closed, how much it takes to fill it, if it’s open, how much it takes to evaporates completely.

situations examples:

Bioarquitecture projects, how a mass of water can change the temperature of an area.
how a humidifier transports the vapor through the room.
how a fireplace or heater can change the relative humidity of the room,

2 Likes