Origin / pivot point

Hello,

In the 3D viewer, geometry/mesh is rotated about origin/pivot point.

But, I am unable to locate the exact position of this point. Is there any provision to “view” this point so that it will be easier to input the co-ordinates of Material point/ background mesh box, etc.?

Regards,
Rajan

Hi @rajan19us and thanks for your question!

I am not aware of any method revealing the rotation center in the viewer so far (will ask if there is a shortcut). Please note that the center varies depending on where you click when you rotate the object.

The generation of the background box as well as the definition of the material point should not be hard and is often easier to counter-check it visually instead of typing in fixed values in my opinion. Do you think that there should be a change in terms of the user experience? If so please let me know :+1:

Thanks for the feedback and all the best!

Jousef

1 Like

Maybe add a comment here:

possible improvements; to mark the origin, the centre of view and have the ability to modify explicitly the centre of rotation by selecting a vertex or inputting coordinates.

For now, you could locate the material point at 0,0,0 to get an idea.

Kind regards,
Darren

1 Like

Hi @jousefm, thanks for the comment. As you said counter-checking is easy, it would be easier and better for visualisation if the centre of rotation is visible. I mean, the user will have to do less iterations/estimations for the construction of the geometry primitives if the pivot is visible ( just an opinion).

@1318980 I will do it. Thanks.

1 Like

hi there, i havea similar question… i need to double check that the origin of the CAD model output is the same as the simscale input… how can i find the origin of the simscale model?
(absolutely critical for adding remote loads…)
thanks!

Hi @e13_engineering!

As far as I am aware the coordinate systems should be identical as in your CAD program, so if you know where (0,0,0) is would be a good thing to start with. The next step would be to add a point as a geometry primitive and add this point and see if it actually where you want it to be as some sort of “counter-check” if you like. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Jousef

Hi Jousef,

thank you for the reply.
how do i add a geometry primitive? i am poking around in the analysis options, but i just don’t see how or where to do this.

thanks!

George

Hi George!

There you go :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any further questions. Edit: Of course you choose the Point here - the focus should be on the red box :wink:

Best,

Jousef