OnShape Import Resolution Issue

I just discovered an issue with the OnShape import resolution. When I import the CAD from OnShape, it looks like this:

Notice the rough shape of the drawing. It looks faceted.

If I download the OnShape drawing in STEP format and import the file, the result is the same. However, if I download the drawing in STL fine format and upload it into SimScale, the result is a much finer drawing (see below). Why is the resolution of the direct import from OnShape so poor?

Update: I uploaded the STEP file to another program and that one displays it just fine without any facets. I think the Import in SimScale is reducing the resolution of the object somehow.

Hi @mas985 and thanks for letting us know.

@afischer: Any comments on that?

Cheers,

Jousef

@mas985 @jousefm, I submitted a snap last night similar issue with a complex wind turbine blade geometry. A previous import was ok, however, this one for some reason was awful. I am posting this here because it is a good demonstration of an extreme case:

Cheers,
Darren

1 Like

Thanks a lot for adding this, Darren! We’re looking into this at the moment. I’ll post an update shortly.

1 Like

Tried the import again and it is now working properly. Thanks!

I still have issues on my import, might be a different cause. I seem to get lost quality when I import fluid regions for external fluid flows. This means that the objects are geometrically large however the interesting part is very small in comparison.

Kind regards,
Darren

With the latest SimScale update, this issue has returned.