Non-linear and Dynamic analysis

hi,

the bottom is solid metal and the top is an ABS plate with applied force in the middle.
is want to simulate the displacement of the top plate using a dynamic analysis.
the run was canceled with the following:

how can I make it work?

Hi @iburlo,

Thanks for posting your question!
Have you already tried using low Contact Stiffness? Could you please also share the project link here? It would be helpful to check if you are setting the right material properties and other considerations.

best,

hi,

didn’t try the low contact surface.

here is the project link:

Hi @iburlo,

Thanks for sharing the link. I see that the setup looks well, but I see that the upper part is just constrained by the physical contact, which should be the cause of the issue. Please add an elastic support in such faces as suggested below with a ‘‘fictitious’’ K value (e.g.: 5000 N/m) and then run the simulation.

best,

Thanks for sharing the project, I look even not bad.if we are talking about the configuration. The only amendment I would make in this case concerns the upper part, it seems to me far too restricted when it comes to direct physical contact.

Thanks, that worked.
can you please explain the logic of adding these elastic supports to the simulation?
Thanks

@iburlo,

Happy that helped! Adding a fictitious elastic support boundary condition is a common practice in FEA to help the solver to close the constitutive matrix on the calculation, because any part cannot be like untied for the simulation. Adding a very low value of K you are saying to the software that this part is stabilized on that position, but no significant forces are constraining the body (because in the calculation this value is insignificant compared to the others).

I hope this make sense.

best,

1 Like