[Need Help] PMV Value Goes Beyond -3 to +3 limit

Hello, everyone.

I want to obtain the PMV and PPD values of a structure to evaluate its thermal comfort. However, the ranges I’m getting for the PMV goes beyond the -3 to +3 limit. I am unsure what to do. Is this normal?

The simulation type is conjugate heat transfer.

Project link: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=7437006603631666431&mi=spec%3A3b046f60-0cb6-488a-abe3-57610922f82f%2Cservice%3ASIMULATION%2Cstrategy%3A3

Thank you.

Hi @rdelacruz ,
based on the formulas, a value for PMV outside of the -3 to 3 range is totally possible, as we do not clip the range explicitly at 3.

you can see that in your results the max PMV at the height of 1.9m is above 8, but at the same point you also have a temperature above 45 DegC.
The area of high temperature is right above the modeled “humans” which generate a lot of heat.
You applied a surface heat source of 420W/m^2 - and each occupant has a surface area of 3.65m^2 (0.5m wide, 1.7m high), generating a total heat of 1533W per occupant!

I guess you shoud review your heat load BC on the occupants, then you should also bet back into a reasonable range for PMV and PPD.

Best,
Richard

2 Likes

Hey, rszoeke!

Thank you so much! This is very insightful.