Necessary force to dip a plate into a liquid?

Hi everyone!

I would like to simulate the force it takes to dip a plate into a liquid with high viscosity. This force should rise when the plate gets deeper into the liquid and have its maximum at the bottom. Therefor I have created a simple container which is open at the topside and a plate. Now I am in the process of generating a mesh, but because of the lack of experience I am not sure which kind of Mesh I should use for each part (hex-dominant automatic, hex-dominant parametric, tet-dominant).
Is it necessary to create a CAD model of the liquid too?
Is such a simulation possible with Simscale?

I have tried to find a similar project in the public files but could not find any so far.
I would really appreciate it if you could provide me some help and guide me through the necessary steps!

Kind regards,
Tom

Hi Tom (@hl68fx),

Based on my understanding, this is possible using the mesh morphing technique for 6-DOF ([see this link]). However, I’m not sure how much depth can be modeled with this method since it is not applicable for large displacements.

My colleague @sjesu_rajendra might be able to add more details.

Cheers,
Anna

Thanks Anna!

Hello Tom (@hl68fx),

This should be an interesting simulation to carry out. But I’m skeptic about the displacement ranges we are talking about. Kindly have the post processing results in the project as @AnnaFless had pointed out.

6-DOF uses the mesh morphing technique, which is limited by the displacement of the body. Especially for your simulation the upthrust provided due to buoyancy might be very high to push the plate, resulting in a large displacement in a very short time span.

Ideally you can try to setup your model exactly like the [Free Floating Boat in a Wave Tank] simulation. Please start with a smaller immersion depth for the plate and make sure to have smaller time steps to get a stable solution. This can give you an idea about the displacements range in question. Then proceed with higher immersion depths, I’m not really sure about the stability at larger displacements. May be we can try to help you troubleshoot the problems for this model :wink:

Best,
Sam

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answers @AnnaFless and @sjesu_rajendra! I really appreciate your help!
I have used the Navier Stokes equations to calculate this manually but this will be only correct when the plate is very near at the bottom. And it depends on my hypothetical flow distribution in the gap between plate and the tank bottom :grin:
I think it will not be necessary to immerse the plate completely into the liquid. I just need to make my plate higher.
I will try to adopt your example and report back :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Tom

1 Like