Multimesh domain - simulation domain consisting of multiple meshes

Hi. I would find a possibility to define simulation domain over multiple meshes a great workload saving. The simulation domain wouldn’t be defined only by one SimScale mesh (even consisting out of several meshes), but user would be allowed to select several meshes. My idea is to export individual parts of my Inventor assembly, upload these individual geometries into SimScale project, create a mesh for each geometry, and then set-up a simulation domain to use selected meshes that are being offered there.

Right now user can upload entire assembly (it’ll be one geometry), and SimScale will create a mesh-set consisting of several solids in their positions.

• This way, user would be able to have one SimScale project with alternative assembly parts to experiment with. For example, have there 3 versions of arm for double whishbone suspension, create a simulation for one version of arm, then duplicate the simulation and exchange this version of suspension arm with another version by selecting it in Domain. User would only have to re-specify constraints for the exchanged part, and not re-define entire simulation.
  • If one solid in my assembly has very computationally demanding mesh, it slows down entire mesh-set generation. User could proceed solid by solid, with different mesh-generation settings for each assembly part.

Pavol

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback @Pavol_Kianicka!

Best,

Jousef

Another feature came to me after 3rd coffee.
User could specify contact constraints and boundary condition constraints over topological entities specified on particular meshes with the same name in Mesh tab. So, after importing all part versions, user would define topological entity with equal name for each part (mesh), and then in simulation tab, user would choose mesh of desired part version for simulation domain, and only reference this equally-named topological entity when setting up contacts and boundary conditions.
It would be forbidden to select two meshes with the same topological entity name in one simulation domain.

This way, user would not be required to re-specify contact and condition constraints each time he exchanges particular assembly part in his simulation domain. User would just exchange the part, and simply start another simulation run.

1 Like