MRF Mesh Problem

Hi,

I want to run a simulation of a ducted underwater propeller. I defined a solid region(MRF) to enclose the blades and imported the model onto simscale, After the mesh is generated when i check my geometry, the blades enclosed within the MRF region are missing altogether. How do I fix this ?

Regards,
Victor

Project Link - SimScale

Hi @Targaryen!

Can you make sure that there are no intersections between the MRF zone you defined and other parts of your model? Let’s see if this has an effect on the mesh.

Best,

Jousef

Hi @jousefm,

I made the suggested change to my model and made sure there are no intersections. That doesnt seem to fix my issue. Thoughts?

Hi @Targaryen!

Have you created another project? The old link has no new model in it. Would be great if you could share the modified model with us. :+1:

Cheers!

Jousef

Here you go. https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=299301598113109710#tab_0-0. Its under geometries and model is titled as ‘newmodel’ & the mesh generated is using the same.

Hi @jousefm,

I tried again with another model with a more refined enclosure to define the rotating zone but still when I mesh, the blade geometry is missing. Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Hi @Targaryen, you havn’t actually defined the surface refinement to create a cell zone. To do this create a new surface refinement, select the MRF geometry and ‘true’ create cell zone. you can actually see the zone hasnt been created at all by clipping the mesh:

And I would try and further refine the other geometry as well it looks a bit coarse still.

Hope this helps,
Darren

2 Likes

Cheers Darren. Definitely helped. Have a great year !

1 Like

Hi @Targaryen, @1318980 and @jousefm,

I am new to Simscale. I am trying to simulate a single turbine blade under sea water. I created the blade, MRF and boundary box (fluid domain) in Catia then I imported it as .step file in Simscale, I got three solid zone after importing the geometry. One is Blade with faces, MRF with faces and boundary box with faces. But I couldn’t able to import the geometry to get single solid volume without any faces for MRF. Could anyone tell me how I can define the MRF as a single solid volume zone?

Is there any tutorial to learn how to import or create MRF zone in Simscale? This is link of my project

How to create a qualtiy mesh in blade tip? If you see my mesh in blade tip isn’t have good quality.

Thanks,
Dinesh.

Hi Dinesh!

You can also just import the enclosed turbine blade and let the mesher take care of the bounding box. You can find a tutorial right here: MRF - Centrifugal Pump Tutorial.

Let me know if that helped!

Jousef

Hi @jousefm,

Thanks for your quick response. I will check the tutorial and let you know soon if I will have any doubts.

Thanks,
Dinesh.

Hi @jousefm,

I followed the tutorial. In the tutorial I can able to create the " Region Refinement" and I can able to select the rotating zone as a solid volume (It’s has three faces).

But in my project SimScale I couldn’t able to create the " Region Refinement" volume. I couldn’t able to understand why I can’t able to create the " Region Refinement". Is there any open in rotating zone or any mistake in importing the geometry?

Regards,
Dinesh.

Hey @dbseenivasan!

Sorry for the late follow up!! Did you solve the issue by yourself or do you still need help on this? Please let me know so we can finish this case for you as fast as possible!

Cheers!

Jousef

1 Like

Hi @jousefm,

So far I tried almost everything. But I could not able to finish the mesh correctly.

Could you check it and help me to finish it?

Thanks,
Dinesh.

Hi Dinesh!

Give me some time to have a look at your issue, will get back to you as soon as possible :slight_smile:

Best,

Jousef

Thanks @jousefm

Dinesh.

Hi @jousefm,

Any update about the problem in messing?

Regards,
Dinesh.

Hi Dinesh!

Feel free to re-upload the geometry without the box, let the mesher create the box. Once that is done we may continue with the setup. Share the project once you have uploaded the project without the box. Thanks and cheers!

Jousef