Microstructural transformations of Metal

Hello everybody!

I am working at a project where the welding on metal plates is examined and I saw the solution in simulating it here. So now I really need a feature which considers the structural transformations in the plate due to the heating and cooling (like austenite, martensite etc.) . Is it possible to simulate the behaviour of the material considering the structure? The problem is, that I have a different phase transformation of the material when heating (ferrite to austenite) than I have when the material is cooling down (austenite to martensite). Is it possible to use if conditions and/or to use equations to define that? That is kind of a hysteresis curve.

Kind regards

Shajia

Hi @shajia,
actually the caluclation of phase transformations for metal, especially for welding applications, is currently not possible with SimScale as @TobiasHolzmann mentioned, but it is definitely possible with the tool that forms the basis of SimScale’s solid mechanics solver Code_Aster.

As this is generally a very specialized use case, we did not yet include metallic phase transformation models but depending on the votes here it might increase in relevance for us.

Best,
Richard

2 Likes

I have read your answers long ago but forgot to thank you guys, they were very helpful. The topic is closed for me for now.