SimScale CAE Forum

Meshing Failure


#1

I tried to mesh my model using automatic meshing but the mesh was not of acceptable quality even with “very fine” setting, so I used parametric meshing using the settings shown in the FSAE workshop and was successful once but in this model the wheels were combined with suspension arms. In the next model I separated the wheels from the suspension arms, and meshed it using the same settings but the mesh failed this time giving the following error:

keyword meshQualityControls is undefined in dictionary “IOstream”

and

keyword meshQualityControls is undefined in dictionary “system/snappyHexMeshDict”

Can I get help in solving this problem?


#2

Hi @varunkotian!

Can you share the project with us please? We will have a look at it then.

All the best!

Jousef


#3

Here is the project link:
https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=1877094893819857972#tab_0-0


#4

Hey @varunkotian!

As far as I can see “1 Mesh” as well as “Copy of 2” finished and the mesh looks good. You can use them for your simulation or do you have any doubts using them? Tell me if you have any problems during the simulation and I will jump in.

Cheers!

Jousef


#6

Hey @jousefm!
The problem is that in the “1 mesh” the wheels are combined with the suspension arms. I separated them in the “2 mesh” and then the mesh started failing in parametric mode. The mesh was successful in automatic wind tunnel mesh but some parts were not properly meshed even in the “very fine” setting. So I wanted to do a parametric mesh but it keeps failing.


#8

Hi @varunkotian!

What you can try is to remove the numbers and signs in front of your names as depicted in the picture below.

Let me know if that fixed the issue. Keeping an eye on your project in any case.

Best,

Jousef


#9

Hi,

I will try that and let you know soon.

Thanks.
Varun


#10

Hi @jousefm!

I tried meshing with the above changes you mentioned and the geometry started meshing, but after 2 hrs of meshing, it failed.
Could you suggest any other solution to this.

Thanks,
Varun


#11

Okay @varunkotian. Trying to figure that one out.

Is the new project qwerty? And if so then the mesh you created was with the model still having numbers and signs in front of the name of the part.

Update: Running a mesh with the fixed model and it seems to run without any errors so far. Keeping you up-to-date.

Best,

Jousef


#12

Hey @jousefm!

The new model is named 2-copy in the project carsim1. I that I have replaced the numbers with alphabets. Earlier with the numbers the mesh wouldn’t even start, but after replacing the nubers with alphabets the mesh started and the progress bar showed “100%” and then got stuck on “Finishing Up”. Then after an hour the “mesh operation failed” message came. I hope this information helps.

Thanks,
Varun


#13

Hi @varunkotian!

Thanks a lot for the detailed description! Will have a look at that later on :+1: I will let you know as soon as I am finished.

Best,

Jousef


#16

Hey @jousefm!

I finally got the geometry meshed!
The problem was that I used to export STL files from SolidWorks assembly file directly. This time I saved each part from the assembly separately and then combined them using the powershell script. This way the names of parts did not have any sign or numbers in front of them and were successfully meshed.

Thanks for your help,
Varun