Meshing/CFD Vortex Generators

Hi Readers

Needed help to understand why my meshing for my vortex generator isn’t good enough visibly? I tried increasing the refinement settings etc but no luck.

Secondly, why can’t I see vortexes or rather how do I see vortexes in my post processing?

Thirdly, how can I extract data points from simscale? or do I use paraview?

Thank you very much!

Project can be found here: SimScale

Hey there @hmattoo!

What you can do in the post-processing is to visualize the vorticity or if you want to identify recirculation zones use special filters inside Paraview like Surface LIC. For the extraction of points you can also use the offline Paraview version.

Best,

Jousef

Hi @hmattoo,

I copied your project over to try to mesh it properly. Let you know when I have something workable.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

1 Like

Hi @hmattoo,

Its currently meshing but there are some problems with regards to the geometry format. If its possible could you upload it in STEP or IGES? Simscale is unable to detect the different faces of the geometry which is problematic when you want more refinement at the small protrusions at the top. You want to refine those individually rather than the whole piece as it may be computationally expensive to do so.

Do upload a different format and let me know.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Hi @Get_Barried
I have uploaded a IGES file for the same ggeometry.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

1 Like

Hi @hmattoo,

IGES works well and you can refer to my meshing parameters under “Barry Mesh” in this [project]. Do note that you have to increase the core count to 32 cores if not the machine will run out of memory. Other than that the parameters there are somewhat optimal and you should get a relatively good simulation once the meshing is complete.

The only thing left to refine is probably the boundary layer inflation and getting a optimal y+ value. But for now just mesh it, simulate it and check to see if the vortices are being produced.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

2 Likes