Mesh study external aerodynamics problem

I have some questions about the layer refinement. In this mesh you did, what value of Y+ were you aiming? And what value of expansion rate you used?

@math_marques96 it depends on what turbulence model you plan on using. I would start with the \kappa \text - \epsilon model and target a y^+ of about 50 with a growth factor of around 1.2 - 1.3 and a last layer thickness somewhere around 83\% of your standard surface mesh size. After running a few cases with \kappa \text - \epsilon you will know whether or not separation is an issue. If so, I would switch to the \kappa \text - \omega\,SST model and then target 1 \leq y^+ \leq 5 in the areas where the separation occurs.

The first model will get you about 90\% of the way there and the second will get you that last 10\%. It all depends on your time requirements and what you are looking to get out of the simulation.

3 Likes

Hello,
I made some changes in the layers refinement and acquired a better mesh. I am in doubt about a layer parameter.
I found this forum Boundary layer inflation thickness - #4 by AnetaNovak and it was not clear for me if what parameter is the ā€œfinal layer thicknessā€. On this forum there is also a ā€œfirst layer thicknessā€ parameter that not appear in my simulation.
I uploaded this draw of a boundary layer, to show my question, the parameter ā€œfinal layer thicknessā€ is the A or B? Is it possible to choose between using the ā€œfinal layer thicknessā€ or ā€œfirst layer thicknessā€, I did not understand if it is the same also.

Hey @math_marques96!

• firstLayerThickness - first layer in the boundary layer (next to the wall) \rightarrow B
  • finalLayerThickness - last layer in the boundary layer \rightarrow A

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Jousef

1 Like

Thank you very much!!

In my simulation, the ā€œfinal layer thicknessā€ parameter appears. Is it possible to I select the ā€œfirst layer thicknessā€ parameter instead? I am not finding where I can select this option.

Our PowerUser @anirudh2821998 has posted a good procedure for this here: Boundary layer inflation thickness - #3 by anirudh2821998 - if anything is missing for your calculations, please let us know and we will fill this gap!

Best,

Jousef

I read the post and did not find where can I change the ā€œfinal layer thicknessā€ to the"first layer thickness". This is what shows in my simulation:

That is impossible to do, you must create a table like this (and you have to read and understand how the mesh parameter ā€˜Layer Sizeā€™ affects the value of what you enter in the ā€˜Final Layer Thicknessā€™ (FLT) parameter):

ERchart

If ā€˜Layer Sizeā€™ is ON (also known as Relative Layering), then FLT is a dimensionless Ratio of the final prism cell size to the adjoining volume mesh cell.

If you choose to use Relative Layering (I do) then you need a further table that lets you pick your FLT ratio based on the surface level refinement, which you choose to refine all the faces that you are putting a boundary layer on (I generally use an FLT ratio of ~0.2 to ~0.4 but that is not a hard rule):

If ā€˜Layer Sizeā€™ is OFF, then FLT is an absolute thickness in meters of the final layer that touches the volume mesh cell.

1 Like

Hi @math_marques96

Here are the steps to make the desired number of inflation layers

1. Use any y+ calculator to get the value of first layer(nearest to wall). Just feed in some values asked by the calculator and you will get the suitable thickness of first layer. I prefer to use this calculator- http://www.pointwise.com/yplus/

2. Decide a suitable expansion ratio and number of inflation layers. Then determine the thickness of farthest layer ā€”a*(r^(n-1))
    a= first layer thickness, r=expansion ratio and n= number of layers

3. Check whether relative sizing option is on/off. I usually prefer my relative sizing option to be off.

Thanks
Ani

3 Likes