Mesh problems using STL files

Hello there,

i’m facing problems to mesh a STL file. To generate the “Assembly” STL file with different faces, I saved then in different files and after all I merged then using by copy and pasting the codes in windows notepad. That’s my first time doing this process, so I really don’t know if that is the problem. First the geometry is okay, as you can see below:

After that I could setup my mesh and refine it, but that is what came up:

So it seems like the mesh does not recognize my geometry, but i didn’t have any problems at all with the cad, so i’m wondering what is the problem. The file link.

Thank you for your attention.

Hi @ialmeida!

We will have a look at this issue and let you know what the cause of this behavior is. Getting back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Jousef

Hi @ialmeida,

Did you ensure that your material point is outside the geometry but within the bounding box?

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Hey @Get_Barried,

i’ve checked that and the material point was inside the geometry, but after i changed the position the results is the same.

Hi @Get_Barried & @ialmeida!

Also thought it is the material point but it is inside the domain. I believe that a splitting of the parts might help, what do you think?

Cheers,

Jousef

Hi everyone,

Yes that may work. If the material point is correctly placed then the issue is that the STL file is just a bunch of data and not actual surfaces, hence the geometry not appearing. Converting it to a more workable format like STEP would resolve this issue but again converting STL files doesn’t always go smoothly.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Hey guys, thank you for replying.

@jousefm Do you mean split the surfaces? I tried do that with a 30 deg angle and got a error, i will try a different configuration earlier.
@Get_Barried Thank you for your suggestion, i will try to do that.

@jousefm @Get_Barried I still have a question though, a while ago there was a workshop here for Yaw analysis of a SAE car, the file that they used was a STL file, that had different faces, and the mesh worked fine. Do you know any proccess for do that kind of assembly?

Hi @ialmeida!

You can use the split operation of your CAD software depending on which one you use. What you can in order to get an STL file is to upload it to Onshape and export it from there or directly from your software if possible.

Cheers,

Jousef