Mesh Problem Hex-dominant parametric

I can’t create a mesh with some of the homework material. I seem to follow all the necessary steps but I keep getting error message in my mesh log:

Does anybody know what I’m doing wrong?

Cheers

Hi @PostenDekker!

Could you share your project link so I can take a look?

Its rather difficult to see directly from a screenshot :frowning:

Cheers!

Regards,
Barry

I think I just invited you to the project. I think there is a problem with the CAD model, eventhough I got it from SimScale, because it has 156 surfaces and in the tutorial they select 198. This could explain why there are parts of the mesh missing.

Hi @PostenDekker!

You could just post a link here :wink: No need to go through the annoying step of sharing within the project itself. I will paste it here for reference.

You are currently using the automatic meshing function and I wouldn’t recommend doing so for rather complex geometries like this valve. Due the complexity, the mesh will have illegal faces as you have seen. You need to use he Hex Dominant Parametric which is inherit more difficult to learn but critical when it comes to complex geometries and obtaining optimized meshes for accuracy versus computational time.

Please refer to this project on how to setup your mesh and do let me know if you still have issues!

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Thanks, but I had done that previously and this was a second iteration to see if I got a different result but it was the same. There are entire parts of the model missing.

Hi @PostenDekker!

Sorry I just realized I accidentally duplicated your project. Can you check where the on “this project” is something you’ve tried before? It was meant to be this link: SimScale

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Hi @PostenDekker!

Any progress?

Your original mesh was not showing up due to your material point being inside the walls of the geometry. Refer to my earlier post on Dheiny’s project for this geometry. It should mesh properly once you have moved the material point.

Cheers!

Regards,
Barry