Mesh density with "Thin-wall" parts

Ref “Rev D reduced cube” in the public sphere

Knowing that this part has a fairly high aspect ratio for the features and seemingly a “thin-wall” part, and wanting to have an accurate simulation, I moved the mesh density slider to 10. Oops…

7.2M nodes and a system error (but not correctly displayed in the GUI). The simulation seemed to complete but did not allow for post-processing.

Speaking with TS, they indicated to reduce the “fineness” of the mesh with the slider, to something around 2M nodes.

I did put the slide back to 5 on the scale and am currently remeshing, but there was not an indication of how many nodes will result with this setting?

The part is already a small section of the complete part with the intentions of reducing node count.

Also, I elected NOT to use the “Thin-wall” refinement option under the mesher given its Beta status.

Hello,

As you are in the process of creating a mesh, you should see an estimate based on similar CAD models/mesh settings:

Of course this is only an estimate, so you may see different node counts in the final mesh. As far as the thin section refinement goes, it should be ok to use for FEA applications. The CAD model needs to be prepared in such a way that a thin section refinement can be applied (with a clear set of “start” and “end” faces that work well together).

I’ve noticed that the estimate does not always appear. It did this last time and with a setting of 3, estimated ~800K nodes.

When I ran the mesh at setting 5, the estimate did not appear, however that mesh failed and the log seem to indicate ~2M nodes.