Making a Flow Region with specific dimensions doesn't work but other dimensions work

It is harder and it takes longer to provide support without full details.To speed up the process and quickly solve your issues this is a reminder to post as much information as you possibly can:

• A description of the project and what you are trying to achieve
  • An description of what is happening, screenshots or error logs are helpful
  • [Important] Always provide a link to your project so that it is easy to find.

(delete this message before posting)

The project I am working on is just a practice one as I am quiet new to CAD and also this Simscale thing. I just made a CAD model using an application called freecad and imported it into the simscale. However, when I make an external flow region in the cad editor, if I use a minimum z of 0.003, it doesn’t work while other values of minimum z work fine. When I attempt to make the flow region with minimum z of 0.003 it makes says: “The flow region could not be created. Please search for potential problems around the following entities face 3 @ Fusion015, face 3 @ Fusion015 and consider cleanup operations in your CAD tool.”

Can anyone help me with this?

Hi!

The error message hints at the problem. If you set min z to 0.003, there is an infinitesimal gap between the wheels of the car and the bottom face of the flow region.

Having a closer look:

It’s a roughly 3e-7m gap, which is not desired for CFD. If you change z slightly, the gap doesn’t exist anymore and the flow region is created successfully.

Just as an example, here’s a thread where the user faced a similar problem: Velocity field is diverging at a point - #2 by Ricardopg

Cheers

1 Like