Lift and drag coefficient calculation in simscale

Hi,

I am using simscale to simulate flow around a body. I have used simulation control-“force and moment calculation” to calculate lift and drag coefficient on the body. The result in the soler log is giving some cd, cl, cl(f), cl® value. Can anybody tell me what cl(f) and cl® stands for?

Also is there any other way of calculating lift and drag in simscale itself?

Currently, I am using paraview for postprocessing, but since the files are too large, it is taking too much time to load the files…and sometimes it is just closing off…any alternative advice for post-processing?

Thanks in advance

Hi @yreddy!

• Total moment coefficient: Cm
  • Total drag coefficient: Cd
  • Total lift coefficient: Cl
  • Total front lift coefficient: Cl(f)
  • Total rear lift coefficient: Cl( r )

I would have said to use Paraview for post-processing but as it always crashes I would suggest you either rely on the values given by the solver log or maybe our @PowerUsers_CFD have a good tip for you :slight_smile:

Edit: If you have access to EnSight that would also work. Some universities have licenses for this software.

Best,

Jousef

Hi @yreddy,

Unfortunately, none that I am aware of. Paraview is very RAM heavy but it should not crash unless you have something like 2 GBs of ram. Just load it and leave it. Large files take a long time to process, sometimes upwards to over 20 minutes to an hour. If its possible you definitely need to use a more powerful computer.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry