"Invalid mesh group" from 2nd order tet mesh

Running a modal analysis of a gear box consisting of a tet mesh of 2nd order I get at the beginning of the solver run the error message “Invalid mesh group”. During the preceding check this error was not detected. Does someone know what this error means?

Thank you!

Dietmar

Hi @dgiljohann,

I have re-uploaded your geometry as a step file and re-meshed it. The Domain has already been adapted and the old geometry was deleted by me.

Your project: Gearbox Model

Please see if the problem still persists.

All the best,

Jousef

Jousef, many thanks for your immediate help! As I was using an external mesher (Salome) not showing any issue with the mesh quality I was interested in general what caused the error “Invalid mesh group” to avoid similar problems in the future with other imported meshes.

Regards,

Dietmar

Hi Dietmar (@dgiljohann)!

I can somehow not reproduce the error although I had it yesterday. Could you try it again and post a screenshot of it? I would say that you need to have solids in your geometry. I am not quite sure if Salome is able to close shells of your geometry properly. But that is something I would take care of.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else and do not forget to contact me if any errors occur.

All the best!

Jousef

Jousef, thanks. Ok, let me try to reproduce it by reimport of the geometry incl. the solid and subsequent import of the mesh.
Dietmar

1 Like

I reproduced the error by execution of the following steps:

1. Import of the IGES geometry file. The geometry has now 2 solids (housing and shaft).
  2. Import of the Salome mesh of the housing as a zipped unv file. Definition of Boundary conditions to mount the housing to the floor. The shaft is not meshed. As a consequence there are 2 solids, but only only mesh.
  3. Checking the model prior to the run --> no error.
  4. When I start then the run I only get the error “Invalid mesh group”, but no further error or solver log.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation @dgiljohann!

@dheiny and @afischer: Any information about that issue? Things to avoid or take care of inside of Salome?

Some general information about formats that are supported by SimScale:

• I-DEAS unv (*.unv)
  • MED (version 3.0)
  • OPENFOAM® native mesh format (ASCII only)

Let’s see if we can do something about this :+1:

Jousef