Incorrect Geometry on CAD imports

I am trying to import a CAD model from OnShape, and in my design there, I have rectangular pillars:

but then when I look at it in SimScale, they turn into different shapes and I am not sure why this is happening

Hi @nkrockenberger,

Thanks for posting your question!
Unfortunately it seems that you have deleted the geometry. Could you please upload it again and then share the project link here? Just to take a close look at that.

best,

Hi again @nkrockenberger,

Thank you very much for providing the project link. I see that the largest area in your geometry is in the order of 0.00001, and the smallest one (the rectangular pillars) is 4.26e-9 [m2]. That should be the cause of the issue. Are those dimensions correct? In case of yes, which kind of pillars are we talking about and its application?

If the dimensions are actually wrong, please rescale the geometry in the CAD software and then import it again to SimScale Workbench :slight_smile:

best,

Hi @goncalves,
Those dimensions are correct. The pillars should be on the scale of micrometers. The pillars are being used in a microfluidic channel, and I was hoping to simulate fluid flow through this arrangement of pillars. Is SimScale usable at this scale?

Hi again @nkrockenberger,

Yes, absolutely. As we have talked via chat, it seems an integration problem from the OnShape side. For now, you can do it manually, as we have talked before. Here you have the project link which the geometry was correctly imported:

best,

This example was helpful for me too, thanks for the replies!