In-plane thin layer conduction in CHT2

Dear Simscale team, for electronics simulations, especially board simulations, thin layers of a highly heat conductive material (Copper) are often used on top to help dissipate heat across the board (in plane).

Unfortunately, the thin film resistance contact only works in the direction of the transverse plane, and therefore cannot be used. Furthermore, physically simulating a very thin layer (e.g., 0.035 mm thick) is a waste of computational elements and, in my experience, results in many problems related to contact detection.

Therefore, I recommend configuring a new thin layer that allows heat conduction in the transverse plane and inner plane directions.
Best regards,

@jairogut

Hello @iriofrio , thank you for the suggestion! We’re always growing, and improving our products in order to provide our users the best simulation experience. That’s why your suggestions and feedback are always appreciated.
We will forward your suggestion, thin layer resistance contact that allows conduction both in cross-plane, and in-plane directions, to our Product and Development team.

You can always check this page for SimScale product development progress.

Have a great day and simulation using SimScale!

1 Like

Dear @kaany , thank you so much for your answer. I think it is quite an important thing to implement. For example at the moment I am working with a 4-layer PCB stackup for electronics (see Figure), which would be impossible (very difficult) to model by physically separate layers. For PCB’s of a certain thickness onwards, modeling by separate layers (or by thin layer) generates different results than if I make a homogeneous part with an average thermal conductivity.

Best regards,

@jairogut