Importing building model for ventilation study... How much would you streamline it?

I am importing my first Revit model to do a ventilation study and trying to figure out how much of the existing model to use and how much to strip down and simplify.

Windows - can definitely be simplified
Doors - thinking about making them just solid sections of wall

Mechanicals - This is the main area I am struggling to determine how much to streamline the existing model.

Is it better to leave it accurate or simplified?

Is there anything else that you would obviously remove/simplify?

1 Like

Hi, and thanks for reaching out through the forum.

I agree with your intention to simplify the doors and windows in your model.

In general, my goal would be to remove as many small details as possible, as long as they do not really contribute to the overall ventilation behavior. About the ducting, you can leave it given that it is properly modeled ant the flow region is connected and water-tight.

Keep in mind that this will increase the model size and complexity, perhaps making it prohibitive. You can for example split your model into two: one simulation of the ducting system (maybe more than one if there are separate systems, e.g., air supply and return), and one for the rooms. You would have to transfer the outlet flow conditions from the ducts into the rooms.

This approach can also have some drawbacks, if for example the back-pressure or the temperature in the rooms has a big impact, it is then up to you to consider this in your analysis.

Pretty cool model :slight_smile:

You can for example split your model into two: one simulation of the ducting system (maybe more than one if there are separate systems, e.g., air supply and return), and one for the rooms. You would have to transfer the outlet flow conditions from the ducts into the rooms.

That sounds like a sensible enough idea. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like