How to setup frameless fans in CHT?

How to setup frameless fans as Momentum Sources in Conjugate Heat Transfer?
Besides, manufactures doesn’t provide fan curves for such fans, because the curves depends on the customized frames. How can I get the fan curve for a certain design?
images

Hi @Bi11,

If you do not have the manufacturer data sheet, you can firstly deploy an Incompressible flow analysis for the fan (here a simple circular geometry is not enough, you must have the detailed geometry representing the angles of impellers, diameters, and so on). Then just execute this incompressible simulation using air adding a Result Control monitoring the pressure and the flow rate in different points of the fluid domain (e.g.: inside pcb cabinet). To get the complete fan curve, just repeat the process for different rotating velocity sets. Finally you do have in hand the fan curve.
That is the right workflow to get this curve manually. The entire process should require more simulation quota than available for free accounts, so my suggestion is to use a Fan that you can easily get the fan curve from the manufacturer, or even from another CFD simulation.

best,

Thank you very much! It took me less than an hour to start running the simulation, including learning and understanding the preparation for the rotating zone. It turned out to be much easier than I expected. That’s great!

1 Like