How to import more than one geometry (STL), to be meshed in the same project?

Hi Daniele,

yes, you can assign different local refinement types (surface, region, feature, layers) and control all their properties locally per face. Not quite sure though what you mean with PID - patch ID?

Best,

David

Yes exactly, but I found out how to manage it.

Just a short question: I generated the mesh, and the process is finished (I can see the log file). However the job is still running/computing, and I cannot visualize the mesh (it’s already 30 min after). Is there some transfer job after the runs?

Daniele

Hi @DanieleObiso,

yes, there is some post-processing with the mesh happening after the actual mesh generation is done (visualization, quality analysis, persistence etc.) - that can take some time if the mesh is very large but 30 min sounds very long. If you can see the log, how many cells were generated?

Best,

David

Hi @DanieleObiso,

did you try to reload your project? It works sometimes for me.

Best,
Andrzej

2 Likes

@dheiny,
the model is not so big, 4.5e06 cells.

@akosior
I tried to reload, but it doesn’t work.

I will wait some time more.
Daniele

@DanieleObiso,

5 million cells should be a breeze, so that can’t be the reason. Is it a public project by any chance?

Best,

David

The run is now ended.
But looking to results, I am not so happy. It seems that snappy and layer were not processed.
Yes, you can look for my name. it’s a small project for an application process by SimScale.

Daniele

Ah - that one?

I think you already deleted the old mesh, right? For “debugging” purposes I typically simply duplicate the setup, tweak and run again - that way you can review old meshes.

I’ll give it a shot myself.

Best,

David

Thank you.
But slowly I am going to get it. I am used to OpenFOAM dictionaries and a GUI needs time :grin:

Thanks for support.
Daniele

Gave it a little spin:

Hi,

I have the same problem with the geometry and i do not know how to upload a model made of different STL files. I do not have linux so is there any other way to make it?

Thank you.
Enrique

Hi @endeesto !

You can have a look at this thread F1 Session - Merging STL files

@Akrem explains in detail what you have to do if you do not have a linux distribution on your machine.

Tell me if that helped!

Good luck and happy SimScaling!

Jousef

1 Like

Hii!
Thanks for the video it was really helpful but I still have some small problems. I do not understand how he merges the files. I have all the .stl files of my model but i do not understand the way he merges them into a one single file. In the video it is shown in the minute 1:41:10 if i am correct and that is the way to merge the files.
What text editor can I use to do it because the one i have doesn’t work

Thanks for the help in advance
Enrique

Hi Enrique,

Notepad ++ should work, you can download it at the link below:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

There are step-by-step instructions if you scroll down through the tutorial. Let me know if that helps.

Best,
Anna

Hi Anna,
What format do I have to export binary or ASCII? because the ASCII changes the piece and the binary makes problems with the Notepad++.

Thanks for the help
Enrique

Hi @endeesto,

As mentioned by @AnnaFless it is all written in the thread posted by me. There is also explained that you have to use the ASCII format.

Let me know how it goes :wink:

Cheers,

Jousef

Hi
Thank you for your quick answers. I have done exactly as the tutorial and when I tried to upload it gave me an error. This is the project:

Also when I open any .stl file with my cad software that I export in ASCII format the piece is not correct and has nothing to do with the real piece. I don’t know why this can be caused.

I also tried to do it with the script of the tutorial and had exactly the same result.

Any idea where the problem can be?

Thanks for the help, sorry for the trouble.
Enrique

I already made it!! Thank you so much for your help.

Enrique

I know you could do it :wink:
What was your mistake @endeesto?

Cheers!

Just using inventor. I did exactly the same with solid works and it worked.

2 Likes