How long would it take to run a simulation on a laptop?

Hello, I have been thinking about this a lot recently, and I don’t know what I would do without a simscale. I know how we set up our simulation send it to the supercomputers, then they send it back. But what would happen If I was to run the same simulation on a laptop? Let’s use a high-quality simulation that ran for 2000 iterations and took 500 minutes to solve with 36 cores. If I were to run the same simulation using the computational power of my laptop an intel core 9300h 2.4 GHz processor unit (only 1), assuming it could run forever without overheating, how long would it take?

Thank you for your time and help😀,
Frank Lucci

That is a good question!

Let me know if you test it, but I would make a guess of a few days, providing you have enough RAM and Hard Drive to handle it!

so here is what I found

Core Hours = Time required to run the job × Number of cores used, so 500 * 32 = 16000
now solve for time = core hours dived by numb cores is the time, so 16000 divided by 1 core is 16000 minutes which is 266.66667 hours or 11.111111 days or 1.5873016 weeks on my laptop😶

here is were I found the equation - What are Core Hours? | Knowledge Base | SimScale

that’s a long long time that could take more than a week now only took a few fours,
Frank Lucci

2 Likes

This is a rough approximation, as it misses some aspects of parallelization, data write, data movement in the cloud, etc, but you know it will be in the order of days.

2 Likes